Pages

Sunday, June 24, 2012

How I Got Here..



After graduating in December with my degree in Dietetics, the next step was an internship. This application process is a brutal process, filling out one major application for all of the programs, as well as then tweaking them individually and selling yourself to the programs as best as possible. The "matching process" as it is called, is a very selective process; the programs pick only the best candidates to fill their few positions. I selected a few throughout the country, completed the separate application  for each program, and pressed submit in mid-february. I now had to wait to be contacted for an interview, and ultimately wait until decision day which was April 1.

After convincing myself that I was no longer in the running for any of the programs that I had applied for, I began applying to Graduate schools to be able to complete my Master's, and therefore improving my chances of getting an internship the next time around. After what felt like forever, the day was finally here. Decision Day. I went on to the website expecting there to be a little bar saying, "We're sorry but you were not matched." At this point I had convinced myself that this was the only option, and had already began planning what my next moves would be. But when I finally got into the system, I found something completely different.

"I am pleased to inform you that you have been matched to the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences"

I kinda laughed to myself for a little while, after a few minutes it finally sunk in. Arkansas? I've never even been there. It must be a good program. It has to be a good program.

After a few days of letting the initial shock sink in, I begin to become optimistic about this experience. My mom and I decided to plan a trip to go and visit Little Rock to see what it was all about since I had never even visited my soon-to-be home. I had spoken to a few people in my program by this time, even found two roommates, which made the thought of leaving a little easier knowing I wouldn't have to live on my own.

I coordinated with one of my future roommates and planned our trips out there for the same weekend so we could both see Little Rock, as well as find a place to live.

The weekend finally came for our trip and I was actually nervous, praying that I wouldn't hate this place that I would have to call home for 10 months. The flight landed and we exited our terminal to what seemed like the smallest airport I had ever been in. My only thought was that this couldn't be good. Luckily it was bigger than I expected, bigger than the Tallahassee airport that's for sure. The weekend was spent exploring and learning about the program I would soon be attending, and I began to like it. I had such low hopes going into it, and I can honestly say that I was pleasantly surprised with everything that I saw and heard.

Without a doubt this is going to be a huge change for me. Yes, I went away from home for Undergrad but I went to a school that so many of my close friends were attending as well. This time around i'll be moving to a state where i'll have no previous foundation, and will have to face the world on my own. Although i'm scared, and that's an understatement, I am also excited. I'm excited to have finally accomplished my the first step of my dreams by attaining an internship, and soon will be on the road to becoming an RD. I'm appreciating the fact that I am moving to a place unknown to me, a place that I can explore new surroundings and discover new interests. And i'm extremely happy that my two roommates are also new to Little Rock so we'll all be in this together.


Time is flying by quicker than I could have imagined. In just 27 days i'll be on the road to Little Rock, and i'm crossing my fingers that time slows down just a little for my days left in Miami.



Me on the walking bridge in downtown Little Rock


This is another photo from a different angle of the bridge
 



No comments:

Post a Comment