Pages

Thursday, August 23, 2012


On the road to becoming an RD


I am very happy to say that the internship is officially under way! We started about a week and a half ago and it has been very chaotic ever since so I haven't had a chance to update my blog lately.

My roommates and I spent the last week before our internship exploring Little Rock and seeing everything that it has to offer. We have found a few cute little restaurants and wine bars that are pretty good, and we have heard of many others that we are still dying to try. It was so hot that week so we weren't able to do much outside stuff unfortunately. We do have a pretty awesome landlord though so him and his wife brought my two roommates and I out on the lake to their houseboat for the weekend. We had so much fun! The lake is called Lake Ouchita and its about an hour and half away from our house. We spent the night out there on the house boat and enjoyed some nice, peaceful time catching some rays before we jumped right into the internship that following Monday. The lake is beautiful and we were shocked to find out that is actually a man made lake! There was a meteor shower the night that we were out there so as soon as it got dark enough, we headed to the top deck and laid out and counted shooting stars. I think by the end of the night we had seen around 15! Coming from a big city and never really being able to see stars, it was so nice to be out in the middle of nowhere and see them light up the sky. 

Meg, Leigh and I on one of the boats

Learning how to use the jet ski
Before we knew it the weekend was over and the internship was starting. The first week was a whirlwind of a week spent signing last minute paper work, learning policies and becoming totally overwhelmed with what the next 39 weeks would be like. But after making it half way through my second week of orientation (and already have completed 3 quizzes, 2 pre-tests, and a presentation- hence why I haven't had a free second to update my blog), I'm realizing that although it is going to be overwhelming and very chaotic at times, that's how real life really is. There is always going to be so much that we need to do. There are always going to be nights spent staying up late in order to get stuff done. There are always going to be unexpected obstacles that ruined your initial plans for the day. I am beginning to learn the importance of flexibility and it has only been 9 days. I begin my Administrative rotations on Monday and will be doing rotations dealing with food service and management. I will be busy with the loads of homework assignments and study questions, but I will be finding out about the basics of how hospitals are managed and all of the work that goes into making sure that things run smoothly on a day to day basis, and of course, the role of the dietitian in this setting. Due to confidentiality reasons, I won't be sharing any details of that kind of stuff, but I will be updating about my personal experiences while on the road to becoming a Registered Dietitian and if i get any spare time, continuing my explorations around this new land I am currently calling home :)

My roommates and I on the first morning of the internship


Only 38 weeks left! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment